Friday, November 5, 2010

Life: 10% Planning, 90% Just Going With The Flow

(The following, is the story according to Ryan - which means it’s true!)

In the beginning…
I was a bit confused at the time, but it didn’t matter.  Why would it?  I had been confused before, sometimes a bit of a headache, sometimes even sick, but foolish times were behind me.  No headache, no upset stomach, just a bit of confusion.  Not too bad of a start to the day.

I walked around searching for my sandals and making notes on my surroundings.  I found my sandals, slipped them on, drifted towards the couch I had woken up on, and collapsed back into its warm embrace.  I could hear the sounds of women talking and starting breakfast in the next room; one kept leaving and returning, each time with more gourmet coffee.  I scratched my head and announced that I was headed out, but that I would be back for breakfast.  No one objected, so I grabbed my cup of coffee, gathered my wits and headed back over to TEN. 

TEN, make no mistake, was not a club nor a bar, nor any such place of desperation or depravity.  TEN was a modest apartment, inhabited by my friend and his (then) wife, designated as #10 within the complex, and our local hangout.  It was my weekend base of operations, a place with a welcoming couch that I could call ‘sanctuary’.  I hadn’t been hanging around my home lately, well, because there wasn’t anything left in my home to hang around, so I wandered.  I missed the friends I had been sequestered away from and was now free to visit them as I pleased … and it pleased me to visit them every weekend all weekend.

I nudged open an unlocked door and announced my presence.  No one seemed awake yet.  I stripped, hopped in the shower and dressed again.  Same clothes, anything else would seem inappropriate for the weekend.  I rubbed my face and felt the prickle of the two-day old growth.  Jay stumbled out of his room and seemed surprised to see me.  I informed him that I was there to wash up, collect my few things and head back over to “the girls’ place” for breakfast. He chuckled and wished me luck.  A toasted shot of rum, a swig of coffee and I was on my way.

Beautiful morning sun, cool crisp air and a pleasant aroma accompanied me on the brief stroll across the street.  I side-stepped in avoidance of some broken glass, paused a moment to consider the possibility that I may have had something to do with the glistening collection of kilned shards on the ground, “nah”.  I kept on.  Chocolate chip pancakes, banana slices, sausage and orange juice, it was a wonderful breakfast.  It was a touch awkward, as I sat amongst three ladies who seemed intent upon staring at the man who had carelessly fallen asleep on their couch, but not too off-putting.  It was what it was, and we laughed.

She, Krista, walked me out and I declared my enjoyment for an evening I dared say I somewhat remembered.  Foolishness had momentarily breached the perimeter of mature responsibility.  She was polite and comforting.  We exchanged telephone numbers and spoke as if we’d never cross paths again, very neutral and distant, but that was the way.  A quick hug and innocent kiss, and I was off, or so I thought.

That was then, this is now . . . and happier I could not be.

SA&LC,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment