Friday, November 5, 2010

Sometimes Life Just Happens

(the story to follow is my version... the best version!)

Finally a charger for my phone, I hate being without it! Especially on that drive..... 3 missed calls and 2 voice mails from Ryan Davis..... REALLY?

The previous day:
I finally came to the tail end of my 2 hour drive to Emm's place, to hang with her for the last weekend before her Mr. was due home from his MEU. I came up to Ammunition Way and thought, “pretty sweet street name for a bunch of jarheads to live off of. Hopefully tonight will be a lot less eventful than last time, I can’t seem to live down the broken window incident at 10." Upon my arrival, Emm greeted me with a warm welcome, a glass of wine and excited plans for a party we were to attend that night. “His name is Rocket, I told him about you and he wants to meet you.” As Emm gave me a sly smirk we heard “N”, one of the boys from 10 come through the front door as he had been sent over to get us, “They’re making Well Water” he said excitedly. I didn’t even want to know what that was but I asked who was all there, N rattled off: name I knew, so and so’s wife, name I knew, name I knew, so and so’s wife, Sgt. Davis, and another name I knew.

Emm looked over at me questioningly and we agreed to head over to 10 just for a little until we went to the other party. Emm and I walked down the street and into 10 without a knock as it wasn't customary there and I immediately recognized everyone..... except who I presumed to be Sgt. Davis, typical college looking frat boy type. Whatever bring on the fun! As the night went on I took my place in the Well Water line next to him “Hi! I’m Ryan or Steven or Red” aka Sgt. Davis. Every time the mystery drink was passed I apologized to him about my cherry lip-gloss being all over the pot. He reassured me that he didn’t mind and we held a casual conversation about the basics, while I thought to myself “this guy looks like he is probably a professional heart breaker, good thing I am completely not interested."

The sun began to peak through the sliding glass door as I tried to open my eyes but I was too warm and comfortable to have a care in the world, I felt nice and safe so I drifted back to sleep. A short time after, I awoke by a knock on the door, I got up to answer it, feeling a dizzy spell and the onset of an enormous headache. I groaned and greeted “our neighbor” with a shy smile and covered eyes, she greeted me with a cappuccino. Emm came from her room and began to rattle around in the kitchen, starting breakfast. I asked the couch dweller to stay and he answered with a polite nod, telling me he would be back after a quick shower down at 10. After the door closed behind him, I burst into hysterical laughter and the girls soon followed in.

Breakfast fell on my tongue sort of tasteless not because it wasn’t good (it was delicious) but I was too busy collecting my thoughts about the party the previous night. We all talked and cracked jokes as we ate and I would occasionally catch myself staring at him, he looked different now, somehow more gentle and less “Marine.” We cleared our plates and helped Emm pick up before her big homecoming the following day. He gathered his things and I quickly decided it would be appropriate to walk him out, I followed down the stairs staying fairly mum. After giving me a grand speech about fun, feelings, complicated and can’t, we exchanged numbers and an insincere kiss. I walked away sort of stunned, not because I hoped anything would come of meeting him, quite the opposite actually, I assumed I’d never see him again but his honesty did kind of shake me. I walked back to Emm's dazed, grabbed my bag and said my goodbyes. I got in the car and reached for my phone to call my sister to let her know I was on my way home since I had been completely MIA the previous night. Super! My phone was dead. I sighed heavily, composed myself and headed home down a road that I’d never again drive alone.

P.S. - Never did meet Rocket but I'm sure he's a nice guy :)

SA&LC,
Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment