Sunday, December 19, 2010

30 is 30 . . . Not the End of the World!



I turned thirty this year.  I know, so very very old!  I grew up having a concept of thirtieth birthdays being a very important event, full of parties and humor and love … which is why I was somewhat depressed as my birthday approached. 


I wasn’t depressed because I was getting older, no, that doesn’t bother me at all.  I was sad because my birthday is something that I’ve never really made a big deal of, which means it usually slides by uncelebrated.  The lack of celebration doesn’t trouble me either, the problem was that a precedent had been set, a precedent that would most likely exclude a thirtieth birthday party from taking place.  As I said before, thirtieth birthdays have always been an important, however, mine was scheduled to pass by unnoticed and uncelebrated.  That saddened me.

My birthday came and went, very few people said anything, most didn’t even realize that it was my birthday.  I went to work and came home as usual.  End of story.


A week later I woke up and met with my friend Eric for breakfast and shopping with his kids.  His wife Kelly and my Krista were having a girls morning, so it was perfect timing for Eric and I to get away for a bit.  He bought me a belated birthday breakfast, which I was very appreciative of.  We strolled around the mall with his kids and then headed back, the Lattea family had a Christmas party to attend.  I called Krista and took her Starbucks order and headed home.

I walked through the door and was startled to see friends and family standing in the living room, decoration hung and cheer of “Happy Birthday” billowing forth!  I was so surprised, so excited, so happy.  Krista had been working for weeks, months even, to orchestrate a party for me.  I saw her beaming face and I almost cried (sappy, I know).  My birthday was wonderful.


What have I learned from all of this?  I have learned that special days in one’s life need no occasion to be special, as long as friends and family are joyful gathered, then any day is special.  However, if you’re going to have a special day, singular unto itself, let Krista plan your party!


  I love my family and friends for their dedication and support.  I love Krista for going out on a limb and doing something for me that hasn’t been done since I was sixteen.  I love her for her understanding of who I am and her willingness to demonstrate her own love for me.


This was one of my best birthdays ever!


SA&LC,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment