Thursday, December 23, 2010

Dans Gratias > Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving was a few weeks ago but It wouldn’t be “Krista like” if I had written on-time!!!

I was lucky enough to have Ry here for Thanksgiving and have the opportunity to introduce him to the last of my family (he has literally met every single member now) which really isn’t saying much considering the difference in size between the Davis/Curran clan and the Hoffmann/Ortega/Wells/Bridges… you get the point. Anywho, it tickles me that he is so loved by all and this holiday season I have a lot to be thankful for. So much has happened in 2010 and for the first time in my life there isn’t a thing I would change or take back.

**In January, my sister Brittany brought my beautiful niece Kyndal into the world. This has definitely brought me closer to the Ortega side of my family, especially my sisters.
 **In February, we started the first major offensives in Marjah, Afghanistan. This has completely changed the face of OEF and has now claimed the highest amount of causalities in the Marine Corps since our February invasion in 2001. I didn’t imagine then, that it would mean much to me now.

**In early summer I was blessed with meeting my wonderful Mr. Davis. I didn’t know it right then, but this man would become my best friend and the absolute love of my life!
      Ryan:  You are everything in a person that I could ever aspire to be. You have a heart of gold,  wisdom willing to be shared for miles, and a smile that makes all the bad stuff go away. Everyday I’m excited to wake up and see what life has in store for us, good or bad it’s you and me against the world.

**In June, my youngest cousin, Jamie graduated high school. This just made me feel old...
 **Also in June, I got Alexis, or Lexi. For those of you who don’t know me well, this is my 2006 black Mustang. Love is not the correct word to describe my feeling about this car, she is quite the beauty and the culmination of my first major financial investment.
 **In August, the untimely passing of a friend’s mother moved something in me to attend a Sunday service with Ryan. He had been asking me to go for weeks but again, for those who know me well, I was a firm atheist before Ryan (and before this particular service, for that matter). I was shaken to uncontrollable tears during worship and continued to cry during the message. I realized that I needed faith in my life and knowing how important Ryan’s is to him made attending that much easier. Now, I attend Heritage Christian Fellowship every Sunday, know Pastor Roger personally, and continue to volunteer within the church. I look forward to learning what differences I can make and to further explore and grow my Christianity.

**Towards the end of Summer I was able to pull myself away from work for a trip to Vegas with Ryan before I started my fall semester of school. This was our first vacation together and we defiantly made some incredible memories. My favorites are tied with the impromptu dinner in the “Eiffel Tower” and dancing on Freemont Street to The Doors.
 **In October, Ryan and I did the Family Assistance Ministries annual 5K walk. This was the first charity walk I had ever participated in and we were able to raise $120 for this wonderful organization.
**In early November, once again Ry and I put on our running shoes. This time we did 6 miles (Ry w/ a 50 lbs pack!) for the Pregnancy Resource Center.  Ryan raised $100 for this cause. 
 **Also in November, we went to the 2010 Marine Corps Ball. (Previously posted about)
 **At the end of November, I made the move away from Costa Mesa, where I grew up. This is by far the biggest decision I've made, as it’s the first time I have lived away from my sister. I would be absolutely lying if I said I wasn’t happy with the choice, or my beautiful condo, but I miss being so close to her. It has truly made me appreciate the times I do get with her. 

**Ry and I spent Thanksgiving split between some of his family in Escondido and my family in Oceanside. Luckily they were really close in distance and both families understood our early dash and our late arrival. We celebrated what God has given us and felt loved by all. 

**In early December, I threw a surprise party for Ryan’s big 3-0 (previously posted about).
**About 2 weeks ago we volunteered at Heritage to help pack over 115,000 meals for Haiti. Honestly, I really wasn’t looking forward to the event; as it was during the week and I had to go straight from work. I cannot tell you how glad I am that we went! The work was so easy and when all was said and done, I genuinely felt like I contributed to something that was needed.

So now, I sit here typing this from my couch in front of my ginormous TV, in my own place. Ryan is home in Ohio for Christmas so I am alone until next week. I miss him terribly and am a little jealous that he gets snow instead of rain, but I’m also grateful that it’s not a deployment keeping him away. I look forward to 2011 and all the new beginnings in store. 

Merry Christmas to you, and keep in mind that the gifts are not what this holiday is about, enjoy your family and be grateful for your blessings.

Love Always,
Krista

P.S. - Papa, Come Home Quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment