Sunday, December 19, 2010

Fun in the California Sun


Here we are, born to be kings, we’re the princes of the universe …. Oh wait, that’s not right, those are the lyrics to a Queen song!

So … here we are, it’s December and it’s raining.  “So what”, you say, “it’s California”.  Well, I beg to differ.  In the movies, which seems to be from where the general populous obtains its information about existence in California, the rain is always light, the temperature warm and the sun is always shining.  This, as with many things in Hollywood, is a lie!


The sun disappeared three days ago behind a cadre of clouds.  Those clouds stealthily moved into position one night and began dropping half-cups of water at a time, continuously, for three days now.  Not cute little rain drops, that would be movie-esque, no, these are large cold wet drops.  Each individual drop possessing the force of a small Midwestern storm front and capable of soaking an entire man with just one drop!

So it has been cold and windy and wet for several days, and I am reminded of home.  Although December, the leaves of the trees act more like September.  I’m used to watching the leaves turn from green to orange, from orange to red, and finally from red to brown and then to the ground.  Southern California, having its own particular weather, maintains its own peculiar environmental calendar.  Instead of a colorful September, la Madre Naturaleza has seen fit to save the color change until the few weeks right before I return to Ohio for the holiday.  I thank her for that, as I feel I am getting a condensed seasonal experience, encompassing some of my favorite times of the year.

 

 

Point being, even thought it’s cold and wet … I’m a happy camper. 



SA&LC,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment